List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Login as root does not work
From:       Bogus Zaba <bogzab () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-21 19:56:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Rick Wagner wrote:

>On Monday 20 June 2005 1:19 pm, Bogus Zaba wrote:
>

>>Werner Joss wrote:

>>>ok, would have been just too easy :)

>>>not really,
>>>but I remember long time ago I had similar problems which turned out to be
>>>pam-related (try googling for that).
>>>or maybe it is some obscure suse/yast thingy -
>>>did you try the suse-lists ?
>>>
>>>werner
>>>p.s.:
>>>please do not top-post - http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOFU
>>>- at least not in a thread which has been started with inline-quoting
>>>by 1st reply ;)
>>>

>>No further hints from me, just confirmation that it has become a problem
>>for me also since I upgraded to KDE 3.4 from 3.2. (All on Suse 9.2). Now
>>if I want to login as root I have to exit current session, open a
>>console, login non-graphically as root and then do a "startx" command to
>>go graphical. If you find out how to solve the problem, do post the
>>answer back here. I would like to make life easier than as above.
>>
>>Bogus Zaba
>>

>Did you get ALL the occurrences of AllowRootLogin entries?  I had this
>problem, and discovered the line exists twice in my kdmrc file (kde-3.4,
>Fedora-3).  Check that you caught all of them.  Try 'grep
>AllowRoot /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc' and see if you have more than one entry.  I
>haven't looked at the content of the file, but my guess is the second
>occurrence is in a duplicate section, and overrides the setting in the first
>section.  So if you only change the first occurrence, as I did, it still
>won't work.
>
>	--rick

Thanks for that hint - led me to my solution. I looked for all kdmrc
files as root in a console session and found that I had kdmrc files in
these locations:

/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
/opt/kde3/share/config/SuSE/default/kdmrc
/var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

In one of them (third one donw) AllowRootLogin was true but in two of
them (first two) it was false. Setting them both to true fixed it for
me. Fourth one contains a long hex string, not config info at all.

Bogus