List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] path & kdm
From:       Jim Philips <jimmyc () speedfactory ! net>
Date:       2005-06-16 21:03:47

On Thursday 16 June 2005 11:44 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:

> >>First question: Does "KDE" show up in: "Menu -> Session Type"?
> >
> > Yes, absolutely. But it doesn't start anything other than an xterm. I
> > have to execute startkde from there.
>
> OK, then this is seriously weird.
>
> In your "kdmrc" file ($KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/kdmrc) you should find a
> line key: "SessionsDirs=".  This should point to the directory where the
> 'desktop' files for the session types are located.  The default is:
> ""$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdm/sessions", but yours might be different.  In
> the directory you should find a file: kde.desktop.  If that file exists,
> it should be correct but you can check the first few lines which should be:
>
> 	[Desktop Entry]
> 	Encoding=UTF-8
> 	Type=XSession
> 	Exec=startkde
> 	TryExec=startkde
> 	Name=KDE
>
> Specifically, does it have: "TryExec=".  If it does, this is the mystery
> since this wouldn't appear in the menu if the script: "startkde" wasn't
> available.
>
> But, IAC, the script: "startkde" must be on your path.  So, from a
> console (not in the Xsession) execute:
>
> 	which startkde
>
> If it doesn't find it, then you have a path issue.
>
> And, as a temporary measure, open your $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xsession
> file in an editor.  The end of this should be:
>
> case $session in
>    "")
>      exec xmessage -center -buttons OK:0 -default OK "Sorry,
> $DESKTOP_SESSION is no valid session."
>      ;;
>    failsafe)
>      exec xterm -geometry 80x24-0-0
>      ;;
>    custom)
>      exec $HOME/.xsession
>      ;;
>    default)
>      exec /usr/kde3-unstable/bin/startkde
>      ;;
>    *)
>      eval exec "$session"
>      ;;
> esac
> exec xmessage -center -buttons OK:0 -default OK "Sorry, cannot execute \
> $session. Check $DESKTOP_SESSION.desktop."
>
> {your paths will be different}
>
> unless your distro changed it.  Actually, I suspect that you file must
> be different.  Put this line:
>
>      exec /usr/kde3-unstable/bin/startkde
>
> {with your path}
>
> before the: "case" and see if it starts KDE.

Well, that got me looking in the right place. I didn't have an Xsessions file
in the config directory for kdm. But I did have an old backed-up config
directory with that file in it. Then I looked at the README file and
remembered genkdmconf. I ran it against the old configs that were backed up
and that got me back to normal. Thanks. Problem solved.