List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Installing KDE from binary RPMs
From:       Bogus Zaba <bogzab () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-01 22:50:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

ne... wrote:

> On May 31, 2005 at 21:14, Steven Pasternak in a soothing rage wrote:
>
>> Bogus Zaba wrote:
>>
>>> This may be a really stupid question. I am running Suse 9.2 with KDE
>>> 3.3.0. I have today  downloaded 104 RPMs which make up KDE 3.4.1.
>>>
>>> Clearly because of dependencies, they have to be installed in a
>>> certain order, but how do I know what the order is without lots of
>>> trial and error ?
>>
> Without using yast, apt, yum... you cannot.
>
>>> Supplementary stupid question : how do I persuade the Suse YAST
>>> installer to install  the  packages *alongside* existing software
>>> rather than replacing all the existing stuff which mainly works OK.
>>
> You don't. Even tho harddrives are cheap these days, you really do
> not need to have two copies of the same thing installed. However,
> from the command line, rpm works.
> [...]
>
>> folder where all of the rpms are (they all need to be in one folder).
>> Type 'rpm -Uhv --force ./*.rpm'. To take care of dependency problems
>> (most of them,
>
> Please do not give bad advice like this anymore without fully
> explaining the consequences of the '--force' flag. If the OP
> breaks his system, are you going to be there to fix it for him?
> The OP needs to run 'rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm' and for each dependency
> not satisfied, download the required rpm and repeat the process.
>
> N.Emile...

Thanks for the various advice - I pieced together a way of doing it
which seems to have worked. In case others find this useful :

    * it was a mistake to try and install the packages by simply
      double-clicking the rpm files and invoking YAST that way - that
      was giving me lots of dependency problems.
    * Much better to start up YAST as super-user and do as advised in
      one fo the posts above - change the installation source to the
      directory where all my downloaded rpms were sitting. YAST then
      nicely marks all the already-installed packages by colour-coding
      them, so you know what to update.
    * An order which led to few dependency problems was : 1. Qt library
      ; 2. Kdelibs ; 3. Kdebase. After that order does not seem very
      important and anyway YAST finds some rpms which are needed if you
      go for a package which requires another rpm to work.
    * Still not istalled due to dependency problems are some of the
      *-develop rpms, eg kdelibs3-devel-doc-3.4.1-5.i586.rpm which have
      unresolved dependencies - probably because when I installed my
      original Suse installation I did not bother with a lot of the
      source code packages.

btw - advice was good to just update and overwrite. No problems
encountered. I was just paranoid because so many posts on this list seem
to say "My xxxx stopped working when I upgraded to KDEx.x"

Bogus