List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] error installing kde 3.4.0
From:       Jim Philips <jimmyc () speedfactory ! net>
Date:       2005-05-29 7:01:12

On Sunday 29 May 2005 02:44 am, Harley Halsey wrote:
> hi,
>   i am trying to install kde 3.4.0 on slackware 10.0. i have tried to
> compile from source and had some trouble with the kdebase library.
> after giving up on that, i decided to try the slackware pkgtool
> utility. i installed the libraries in the order given on the web site.
> Arts was installed first and then i installed kdelibs-3.4.0 followed
> by kdebase-3.4.0. After i installed the remaining packages (w/
> kdeaddons-3.4.0 last) i logged in and startx'ed. After loading the
> nVidia drivers i get the following error: "Could not load kde. kdeinit
> failed." (or somethin' like, i am not at my computer right now.)
>  so, just out of curiosity i went and tried to run kdeinit from the
> command line and got the following error: "could not find
> libinit.so.11"
>  anyone have any ideas?

My first question is: Why Slackware 10.0? There are no KDE 3.4 packages for
that version, to my knowledge. They are all for 10.1. I am running Slackware
10.1 and have no problems with any of the KDE packages for it. But I suspect
the 3.4 packages  were compiled against a different version of of Xorg from
what you have. My version of X is 6.8.2 here.