List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: kde-linux] Must KMail and Spamassassin hang system?
From:       David Baron <d_baron () 012 ! net ! il>
Date:       2005-04-26 13:17:15

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 13:00, kde-linux-request@mail.kde.org wrote:
> I probably know the answer already, but here goes:
>
> When using SpamAssassin and KMail the entire sys seems to hang for many
> long seconds at a time. I know that we were warned at setup time, but is
> there an alternative to this?
>
> Surely there is nothing special or unique about the code in this spam
> filtering. Can't this be 'niced' to a less obtrusive level?
>
> Anyone out there found a way to tame these hangs?

Of course, this filtering should be called in a background thread so as not to
hang the UI. Hopefully the change has been accomplished.

I use fetchmail and exim to get and store mail. Kmail simple gets it from the
user's /var/mail folder. Spamd is run through procmail--webmin will set this
up for you very simply. Virus checking can be added to the promailrc as well
using any number of simple packages, usually perl scripts or such, to take
care of clamd as well.