List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: [kde] system services
From:       Andrew Kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-03-30 9:28:07

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:49 pm, Caleb O'Connell wrote:
> s there a kde service that will allow me to start system services in the
> background after kde starts?  I want to speed my boot time up by starting
> next to nothing at boot time, and then start most services in the
> background of kde either on demand (cups, lisa, smb) or always (httpd).
>  I've looked around but havn't come up with anything initially.  Thanks
> ahead for any answers.

Good question. In the kde autostart folder there is a konq preload.desktop
file. Have a look at that and all the other initial startup files. By making
dektop files for the services you want you can use the switches you will see
there that tell when things should start . For instance look at the
panel.desktop file and how it is told to wait until after kdesktop.

--
regards,
andrew