List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Kpdf and Acrobat Reader differ regarding fonts?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-03-25 0:00:59

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I am astonished with the fact that kpdf is as competent as Acrobat
> Reader. However, there is one thing that puzzles me: the fonts of kpdf
> do not look alike the fonts of Acrobat Reader. Is there some way of
> getting kpdf working with the same fonts of Acrobat Reader?

First, you would need to install [PostScript Names]:

TimesNewRomanPSMT
TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldItalicMT
ArialMT
Arial-ItalicMT
Arial-BoldMT
Arial-BoldItalicMT
CourierNewPSMT
CourierNewPS-ItalicMT
CourierNewPS-BoldMT
CourierNewPS-BoldItalicMT

{Common names don't have PS, MT, or - in them.}

which you can get here (if you want TrueType):

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

Or install the ones from Acrobat Reader 7.0 for Windows (if you want
Type1).  Note that you will need to convert the file names to ALL LOWER
CASE first.  You will need to take the PFB & PFM files and make the
needed AFM files with the command: "pf2afm" (which comes with
GhostScript), and then discard the PFM files which Linux doesn't need.

If you have (one or the other of) those installed and you are not
getting the correct fonts, then it is a bug and it should be reported.

See here for an explanation:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=111138393509440&w=2

--
JRT