List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] "setting up interprocess communication" freeze
From:       "Daevid Vincent" <daevid () daevid ! com>
Date:       2005-03-22 17:52:36

Posting to the regular KDE list and gentoo lists were useless, maybe this
list will have some better results... *sigh*

--------------

I've run Gentoo without problems for the past year, RH8 before that. I did
my usual 'emerge -Davu world' on two different machines (both with nVidia
cards though) and both now "freeze" when I try to load KDE 3.3 or 3.4 (which
was working just Fine with 3.2). I don't know what changed. I can load Gnome
and XFCE, so it's not Xorg related.

startx fires up and the mouse cursor responds to mouse movement, but all I
see is a blue bar with white letters that say "setting up interprocess
communication". It never goes away. I believe there are normally icons above
this area (when it's working right that is). The HD light flickers pretty
steadily like it's doing something, but leaving it for even as much as 10
minutes, nothing changes.

I can't switch to any of the console screens. I can't even CTRL+BKSP and
kill X. The only way to get out is to power down!! Ugh.

I've tried to "rm -rf /tmp" and I also "rm -f ~/.ICE*" and "rm -f ~/.DCOP*".

I've also "rm -rf .kde*" and let KDE rebuild these files. KDE fires up to
the point of the initial asking my keyboard and how many effects I want and
stuff. Then locks up at the same damn spot. UGH!

I'm trying this as 'root' and as 'daevid' too, so it shouldn't be a
permission problem.

I don't see anything strange in .xsession-errors, /var/log/messages or
dmesg. Google doesn't really have anything useful that I've found. It seems
to be related to some recent emerge update though because like I said, my
Dell i8200 and my home server both illustrate this behavior after upgrading
from 3.2 (working) to 3.3 and then coincidentally 3.4 came out a few days
later so I tried that too. These are mixed ~x86 (mostly the ~x86 of KDE &
Gnome parts).