List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Scheduling Tasks with KCron
From:       Scott Arnold <scottarnold () distantvisions ! net>
Date:       2005-01-30 18:46:25

Hello,

I am having trouble getting KCron scheduled tasks to run.  I'm still a
bit new to Linux so maybe there is something I am missing someone can
help me with.  I am using Fedora Core 2 with KDE and KCron version 3.2.2.

I'm not entirely sure where to put "system" tasks, but that is not
really my problem.  I've set up a coule of test tasks under "root".
I've checked under System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services and
ensured that service "crond" is running.  I've tried setting up 2
different test tasks, one which simply runs a ".sh" file, the other
which attempts to run a Java program.  The tasks are marked as enabled,
with "run every day" checked.  I tried doing a "Run Now" and the tasks
ran as expected.  The problem comes in when I try to do the scheduled
run.  I save and quit the Task Scheduler, but when the scheduled time
rolls around, the tasks do not do their jobs.  Since I'm not real sure
how the task system works, I tried being both logged in as root, as well
as logged out.  Both ways, the tasks seem not to run.  I then checked
the Cron Log.  At the scheduled time the Cron Log shows something like
"Jan 30 12:00:00 butler-server CROND[2805]: (root) CMD
(/usr/j2sdk1.4.2_06/bin/java Test)".  This suggested that it tried to
run as scheduled, but the actual task to perform did not work.  Any
thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Scott Arnold

Signup at www.doteasy.com