List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] ICEauthority input/output error
From:       SnapafunFrank <Frank () snapafun ! co ! nz>
Date:       2005-01-22 11:45:52

Jan wrote:

>This problem is USER specific using kde-3.2.3
>
>I'm unable to get past this error when I attempted to reboot after things
>started to hang whilst trying out the supermount facility within my
>Mandrake10.0 Official installation. The swapping of flash sticks worked fine
>for three times but when I removed one the fourth time the "removable2" /dev
>hung first followed by anything I tried to do afterwards.
>
>Upon a reboot I got as far as the desktop loading when a dialogue popped up
>with the above error.
>
>I am able to sign in as another user OK but when attempting to get to this
>file I get:
>
># ls -al /home/frank/
>ls: /home/frank/.ICEauthority: Input/output error
>total 22868
>drwxr-xr-x  108 frank frank     8192 Jan 21 08:05 ./
>drwxr-xr-x   13 root  root      4096 Sep 27 19:56 ../
><SNIP>
>-rw-rw-r--    1 frank frank      537 Jan 15 01:31 icad.log
>-rw-r--r--    1 root  root         0 Jan 21 08:05 ICEauthority
>drwxrwxr-x    2 frank frank     4096 Apr 19  2004 .icons/
>drwxrwxr-x    7 frank frank     4096 Oct  7 22:17 IMAGE/
>drwxr-xr-x    2 frank frank     4096 Dec 19 13:56 ISOCD/
>drwxr-x---    8 frank frank     4096 Dec 17  2003 j2sdk1.4.2/
><SNIP>
>
>Anyone care to assist as I care to get this resolved so as to get my ADSL up
>and running and would hate to start out setting it up as a factious user.
>
>Regards
>
>Frank

OK..

I decided to try things myself to see what happens.

I signed in as another user, as su, deleted the .ICEauthority file,
rebooted and signed in as myself.

KDE fired this time but I have had to re-customize my kde and
re-establish other links to apps I have compiled from source not to
mention having to re-position my desktop icons.

So now I have made a back up of .ICEauthority just in case.

For now, I need to understand what caused the corruption of this file in
the first place.

"The swapping of flash sticks worked fine for three times but when I
removed one the fourth time the "removable2" /dev hung first followed by
anything I tried to do afterwards."

This comment I made above seems to be the culprit, so anyone with any
suggestions?

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213