List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Opening Windows
From:       "ne..." <akabi () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2004-12-01 14:58:48

On Dec 1, 2004 at 02:03, Sylviane & Perry White in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Wednesday 01 December 2004 00:51, David P James wrote:
>> And please don't top-post / top-reply either. That's also very annoying.
>_____________________
>Sorry if it is getting completly OT, I just didn't feel my question deserves
>another thread.     (???)
It is best to start another thread if what you are asking about
has nothing to do with the original subject and it is not a
continuation of what was being discussed. Where to draw the
line is sometimes hard to judge.

>I also do not want to participate in this flame war, I only want to learn more
>about the proper way to write or reply.
>
>Could you please (David) elaborate on this top-post / top-reply either thing
>or point to some link?
Think of the people who receive a few hundred e-mails everyday.
It makes it easier for all to follow a conversation taking place.
Now if you can come up with a written language that writes from
bottom to top, I would love to hear of. All write form top to
bottom that I know of.

>I googled about top-posting and found from:
>http://themeyers.org/cgi-bin/nopre.cgi/HomeRoast/Topic13978.htm
> 11) From: Wandering John
>Would you like to defend your position on top posting? Google and most Linux
>software defaults to a top reply.
Aktually, they only place the cursor at the top. It is up to
the user to snip as relevant and post at the bottom of the
quoted text.

>The original discussion on this subject
>resolved in the fact that there is not, nor has there ever been a standard
>for or against top or bottom posting.
There may not be an ISO standard for this, but at least an RFC
exists.

N.Emile...
My polyvinyl cowboy wallet was made in Hong Kong by Montgomery Clift!
09:49:54  up 2 days, 15:54,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00