List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] New video card...
From:       J Hall <canllaith () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-30 3:47:39

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 14:35, George Peters wrote:
>> Perhaps a dumb question...am  an occasional  LINUX 2.4.22 user with KDE
>> installed ....
>> I Changed video card recently (as a WINDOWS user), and never got around to
>> the LINUX/KDE (which I have in dual boot mode).
>> When i booted LINUX today - - for the first time in months - startx would
>> not work...
>> It is clear that there is a conflict with the ATI card info in the .conf
>> file vs the real hardware.
>> In plain English, I guess I need to install a new video driver (and
>> perhaps uninstall the old ATI RADEON), new is NVIDIA GEFORCE 2
>> What is the command(s) please.....
>>
>> Regards,
>> George Peters
>> Strategic Database Systems Inc.
>> Proudly celebrating 25 years in Database Management
>>  <mailto:wombat53@optonline.net> wombat53@optonline.net
>> 914-235-3235 (Bus.)
>> 914-629-6803 (Cell)
>> New Rochelle, NY
>> USA
>> Certified for IBM DB2 e-business software

If you have an Nvidia card now you can always try installing the linux nvidia
drivers from nvidia.com. Then you would need to edit your X config file and
change the driver for your video card to read 'nvidia'

I understand these drivers occasionally conflict with X libs on a few RPM
based distros so there may be a better method for your particular setup.

At any rate, you can change the driver to 'vesa' and get your X working again
while you research other options.

If you choose to edit your X config file by hand, you may wish to back it up
elsewhere first :)