List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Volume Control
From:       "Barry O'Donovan" <barry.odonovan () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-11-24 23:44:35

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 23:31, Beauford wrote:
> A small thing, but annoying. How do I get a sliding volume control on
> the sytem tray (like in Windows). I've set the kmix settings to do
> this, but all it does is open the kmix program. I just want a normal
> sliding volume control.

I suppose it really depends on what version of KDE you're using.

On mine (CVS HEAD - i.e. >KDE 3.3), in the KMix window, I goto the menu:

Settings->Configure KMix...

and then select the "Enable system tray volume control" checkbox.

If you are using a version that doesn't have this feature, you can use
KHotkeys to set up keyboard shortcuts. For example, I use Win++ (hold
down the Windows/Start key and then press the numerical keypad's plus
key) and Win+- to increase/decrease my volume respectivily.

In the control centre, goto "Regional & Accessibility->KHotKeys"

Create a new action and call it, say, "Increase Master Volume" and set
the action type to Keyboard Shortcut-> DCOP call (Simple).

Set the keyboard shortcut in the "Keyboard Shortcut" tab to whatever you
want.

Use the following settings for the DCOP call:

Remote application: kmix
Remote object: Mixer0
Called function: increaseVolume
Arguments: 0

Use the function decreaseVolume to decrease the volume.

Hope one of these sorts you out,

Kind regards,
Barry

--