List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] USPS Track & Confirm unusable with Konqueror
From:       Jim <jimo () eskimo ! com>
Date:       2004-11-19 3:04:21

...but it works fine with Netscape 4.76.  Using Konqueror, I get
the following error popup:
    [window title: JavaScript]
    Invalid tracking number entered. Please try again.
Nothing crashes, but I do see several lines like the following
in ~/.X.err:
    rectangle parsing failed, i=0

The problem URL is:
http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm?from=home&page=0035trackandconfirm

and you can demonstrate the problem by entering any number of the form:
   7004 1160 0006 8305 5xxx  (pick anything for the x's)

With Netscape, you'll see either some delivery info (if you happen to
hit a real tracking number) or "There is no record of that item".
But in Konqueror they say the number---ANY number---is "Invalid".

Interestingly, the USPS site can't accept an email address from
Konqueror if you try to contact them or sign up for the email
tracking feature, but it can if you use Netscape.

My system:
  KDE/Konqueror 2.2.1; SuSE 7.3, kernel 2.4.23, Javascript enabled.
I tried changing the User Agent Konqueror reports, tried
Mozilla/4.76, Mozilla/5.0, Linux or Windows.

This is the first site I've had any problem with using Konqueror; I'd
like to know if it's something with my configuration, or if others
can duplicate the problem, or if it's a problem known to plague older
versions like mine that has been corrected (more motivation to
upgrade... :)

TIA,

Jim