List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KDE 3.3 Symlink Errors with Users Home Dirs Mounted via
From:       Murray Trainer <mtrainer () central-data ! net>
Date:       2004-11-16 15:07:07

Hello,

I am using Suse 9.1 on my server and client machines.  My /home
directory on the server is mounted as /home on my client
machine via NFS.  I am consistently getting the following error below:

When trying to create a link by dragging an item (KMail in this case)
from the KDE menu to the desktop:

 Information - KDesktop
Could not create symlink /home/userid/Desktop/KMail.desktop.
Please check permissions.

If the user logs out then in again the link then appears.  Does anyone
understand why this happens?  I intend using
CIFS/pam_mount eventaully instead of NFS but there are serious issues
running KDE in home directories via CIFS.

Thanks

Murray Trainer