List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] image loading times in Konqueror 3.3.1
From:       Jim Philips <jimmyc () speedfactory ! net>
Date:       2004-11-15 11:05:18

On Monday 15 November 2004 12:26 am, akar wrote:
> Jim Philips wrote:
> > Earlier, I thought image loading was slower for Web sites that are
> > requiring authentication. My examples were:
> >
> > http://www.ajc.com
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com
> >
> > The image loading is only slow when I go to an article within the site,
> > not the home page. Others told me they don't experience this slowness on
> > the same sites. So, tonight I decided to compare page loading times with
> > Firefox 1.0. On the ajc.com site, I clicked on an article with Konqueror
> > and waited a full 25 seconds, while Konqueror loaded images, before I
> > could see the text of the article. I tried clicking on the same article
> > with Firefox and the article text loaded in about 1 second. I have a
> > pretty speedy DSL connection here and most sites load pretty quickly in
> > Konqueror. Is nobody else seeing lags while Konqueror loads images on a
> > page? I like Konqueror, but if Firefox is 25 times faster--on even a few
> > sites--I'm obviously going to prefer it.
>
> It is well known that Konq loads and renders faster than mozilla which
> is why Apple chose it as their web engine. Since Firefox uses  the
> mozilla engine you need to look at your settings for an explanation.
>
> Are you loading from cache in firefox but not konq?  When I tried it,
> Firefox DID load faster but then I noticed that it was missing most of
> the images and the Flash movie. Most images come from a 3rd party and
> firefox was set to reject such images.  Its easy to be fast when you
> dont have images or flash movies; they are what takes up all the time,
> text is zilch in download terms.
>
> So just use your browser of choice but set its options as you like.

Both Konqueror and Firefox are set to load all images with no restrictions.
This morning, I tested again by loading an article from ajc.com. It took 18
seconds in Konqueror and 2 seconds in Firefox. That timing is for the entire
page to load, images and all. So, while it may be "well known" that Konqueror
is faster than Firefox, I can't reproduce that in my environment.