List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] find process
From:       Ernie Schroder <schroder () ntplx ! net>
Date:       2004-11-11 12:52:20

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 10:04 pm, a tiny voice compelled Jason Ahrens to
write:
> On November 10, 2004 10:25, Richard Pace wrote:
> > Running SuSE 9.1 and KDE 3.2.3.
> >
> > I leave my PC on most of the time.  I usually have ksysguardd running.
> > Every morning around 4am (I get up early) a "find" process is running
> > under login "nobody".  I associate a "sort"  and "sh" process under
> > "root" with this activity as well (when the "find" process ends, these
> > two go away also).
> >
> > The "find" process runs for about 10 minutes and really chews up CPU.
> >
> > How do I determine what is launching this process?  I don't recall
> > setting up any scheduled processes - I wouldn't know how (maybe
> > inadvertently?).
>
> I'll almost guarantee it's updatedb. When I first started running Linux
> back 10 years ago, I noticed the same thing.
>
> I find that if I 'nice 19' updatedb, things slow down some (it's still IO
> intensive) but the system doesn't chug.
>
> Jason

It seems to me that you should reschedule the 4:02 AM cron job to a time when
it wouldn't effect you. (4:02 is a time when the vast majority of systems
will be idle)
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 07:45:33 up 3 days, 13:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.11, 0.26
Linux 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+