List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Who has the best Distro? OT
From:       Andrew Kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-10-31 8:31:46

On Friday 29 October 2004 09:03 am, Rex Dieter wrote:
> These days, IMO, that attitude is about 95% FUD.
>
> People gripe about redhat omitting certain kde features(*), but it's
> only because they *have* to, legality reasons mostly.
>
> (*) namely mp3 support and trademarked items

No, I cant agree with that.  Almost all distros take out mp3 codecs and there
is nothing stopping redhat supplying trademarked items provided the items
licence allows it just like the other distros do.
RedHat buries KDE as a non standard install feature to a degree that most new
users dont even know that KDE comes with RedHat.
That however is not the real gripe. RedHat and its community core has either
deliberately or inadvertently created the slowest most unwieldy KDE that has
ever existed to the point that anyone running RH would not consider kde
particularly viable compared to Gnome. When you are talking about load and
response speeds of upto 20:1 slower comparing RH KDE to say Mandrake or
Knoppix then something is severely amiss. If then getting an independently
compiled RH KDE or compiling your own makes a big difference then it
certainly makes one think.

--
regards,
andrew