List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: Scoll and backspc speed
From:       Harry Putnam <reader () newsguy ! com>
Date:       2004-10-25 10:27:34

James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> OS=Fedora C3T2
>> KDE-3.3
>> I've used some setting in KDE before to set the speed of scolling
>> and
>> the speed of cursor movement like when you have a long cmdline and you
>> back up to erase some of it.
>> Somehow I've lost my settings that control that and now cannot
>> figure
>> out what does it other than keyboard repeat.
>> My current situation is that when scolling the first 10-15 lines
>> scroll by very quickly, but then it slowes to less than half that
>> speed.
>> On backing out a command line the behavior is similar.  The first
>> several backups (when holding down bckspc key) go very quickly then
>> slows down to less than half that speed.
>> I've reset this before as mentioned but can't remember how.
>> Further,
>> I'm not sure how or why my settings got erased.
>> I know about the keyboard setting under contorl
>> center/peripherals/keyboard
>> Keyboard repeat.
>> Setting the least `delay' and the highest `rate' seems to affect
>> only
>> the first part.  That is the initial fast motion gets faster but still
>> the brakes come on after 10-15 repeats.
>> I want the speed to stay fast throughout.
>
> This sounds like you are having problems with X that I probably don't know how
> to fix.  Perhaps your mouse driver selection is wrong, or it is having a really
> bad day. :-)

I don't think its general X.  Especially since I've `fixed' it before
with settings inside KDE.  Just can't recall how now.

> With KDE, in the Control Center: "Peripherals -> Mouse" under the: "Advanced"
> tab you can choose how many scroll lines per click of the wheel.  I don't know
> of any other settings (X driver parameters) other than the key repeat time and
> mouse speed that you can set from KDE.

Its not really mouse related.  Or at least I see no problems with
mouse motion.  Seems to be confined to scrolling with arrow keys
and cursor motion with arrow keys or back space.