List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Who has the best Distro?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-23 0:24:56

Brian Demers wrote:
> Here is my question...
>
> Who has the best KDE Distro...
>
> I have been using RedHat since 5.2 But I am thinking about trying out a new
> distro...
> My to main concerns are APCI ( for my laptop )
> and updates..
>
> Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, the best KDE is built from scratch.  From what many say, Debian
is a close second but it has the problem that it doesn't have good support for
RPM packages and RPM packages might not install because they need SysV startup.
  Some suggest smaller distros or PLD (I disagree with their directory choices,
but there is nothing wrong with them).

IMHO, the problem with the three major RPM based distros (Mandrake, SuSE, &
RedHat(Fedora Core) is that they have added additional features or made changes
that interfere with KDE.

I have a part from scratch based on Fedora Core 1.  Many have bad things to say
about Fedora Core and I am not going to disagree with them.  I can not upgrade
my RPMs to FC2 because they hacked the GLibc (I have to wait till 2.3.4 is
released to build from source).  If you do go with FC, I suggest that you do not
install the FC packages for KDE, but rather get them from:

	http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

If you want one of the big three, I suggest SuSE first, Mandrake second and
advise against RedHat/Fedora.

Perhaps Sun or IBM could deliver us from this problem with a "vanilla" distro,
or perhaps someone could offer a prebuilt LFS distro.

AFAIK, APCI is supported in the Kernel.  So, this shouldn't be an issue with a
current Kernel version.

I don't have a laptop so all that I can tell you is that Linux 2.4.27 turns my
system off OK.  Upgrading to 2.6.x is on my to do list. :-)

--
JRT