List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Configuring a LAN Printer as a User
From:       Tom Taylor <linxt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-10-20 23:23:40

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 14:15, magpie wrote:
> Lpr is looking for the printer on your localhost and cannot find
> it. Isn't the printer on WinXP ? You could try (according to man lp)
> lp -d HP -h (server) (file). As your printer is connected to WinXP,
> your problem is just as much a Windows matter as anything and you may need
> to get more Windows advice. Can you connect the printer to you Linux box ?
>
> Brian
>
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:10:40AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> > Thanks to all those who replied to my origional message.
> >
> > While the advice that I received was of the high caliber that so often
> > exhibits itself on this list, none of it solved my problem.
> >
> > I deciede to abondon CUPS and turn to the LPR/LPRng Print Sustem.  I ran
> > yast2/hardware/printers as root and filled in the blanks.
> >
> > I get the following when I attempt to print (as a user):
> >
> > A print error occurred. Error message received from system:
> >
> > /usr/bin/lpr -P 'HP' '-#1' '/tmp/kde-computation/kdeprint_kduhd2NE' :
> > execution failed with message: Status Information, attempt 1 of 3:
> > sending job 'computation@abnormal+620' to HP@localhost connecting to
> > 'localhost', attempt 1 connected to 'localhost' requesting printer
> > HP@localhost job 'computation@abnormal+620' transfer to HP@localhost
> > failed error 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack
> > 'ACK_FAIL' sending str '^BHP' to HP@localhost error msg: 'spool queue
> > for 'hp' does not exist on server abnormal.ffc' error msg: '
> > non-existent printer or you need to run 'checkpc -f'' Waiting 10 seconds
> > before retry Status Information, attempt 2 of 3: sending job
> > 'computation@abnormal+620' to HP@localhost connecting to 'localhost',
> > attempt 1 connected to 'localhost' requesting printer HP@localhost job
> > 'computation@abnormal+620' transfer to HP@localhost failed error
> > 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL' sending str
> > '^BHP' to HP@localhost error msg: 'spool queue for 'hp' does not exist
> > on server abnormal.ffc' error msg: ' non-existent printer or you need to
> > run 'checkpc -f'' Waiting 10 seconds before retry sending job
> > 'computation@abnormal+620' to HP@localhost connecting to 'localhost',
> > attempt 1 connected to 'localhost' requesting printer HP@localhost job
> > 'computation@abnormal+620' transfer to HP@localhost failed error
> > 'NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL' sending str
> > '^BHP' to HP@localhost error msg: 'spool queue for 'hp' does not exist
> > on server abnormal.ffc' error msg: ' non-existent printer or you need to
> > run 'checkpc -f''
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:16:34 -0400
> > From: "Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D." <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net>
> > To: SuSE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
> > Subject: Configureing CUPS as a user
> >

> > SuSE9.1/KDE3.3.1 on a LAN with a HPDJ612C on a WinXP Pro machine.

> [...]

Hi All:

How were you setting the printer up in CUPS?  Is the printer connected
directly to a WinXP printer port or to a network hub/print server?  If
connected to a winblows box, you may need to connect through SAMBA print
sharing.  If it is a network device (preferable) then CUPS should handle it
and all computers on the network could use it.

I'm using two printers, an Epson Photo 2200 and an Brother 1440 laser.  The
setup for the laser is:

Start > System Settings > Printing > Edit (or add)
 Queue Type:  Networked UNIX (LPD)
 Server:    192.168.0.71
 Queue:  PS_Port1
  rest of the settings for what you want of the printer.

HTH, Tom

--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004