List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: Re: Updated, now no sound.
From:       "Christopher J. Bottaro" <cjbottaro () alumni ! cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2004-10-18 19:54:46

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

> Graham wrote:
>
>> I updated to the latest Nforce audio drivers and couldn't get sound to
>> work. Found the answer to my problem on the nv forum....
>>
>> Configure your desktop->Sound->Sound System->Hardware->Select the
>> audio device->then select "Threaded Open Sound System"....worked for me
>> HTH
>> Graham
>
> OK, thats getting closer.  When I do that, arts doesn't give me an error
> anymore.  Now there is just no sound playing.  Playing the test sound on
> KDE's Control Center yields nothing.  If I try to play an MP3 in juk, The
> slider bar moves like two ticks then stops (no sound at all, even when the
> slider is moving).

It seems to be a 2.6.8 kernel problem.  I read on the nvforums that other
people are also having problems with nvsound + 2.6.8.  I booted my old
kernel (2.6.5), installed the latest nforce drivers (the ones that didn't
work with 2.6.8) and everything works great (well, except that I can't
choose ALSA in Control Center, I have to use Threaded Open Sound System"
like you suggested)!