List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kmail problems
From:       Ernie Schroder <schroder () ntplx ! net>
Date:       2004-10-13 2:52:53

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:09 pm, a tiny voice compelled Randall D. Hobbs
to write:
> [...]
> > why I use Linux! And, yes, a 2x4 has been considered.
>
> I know that I am never just "happy" with my system (my brother says "just
> leave the ****** thing alone!". I like to change things and experiment,
> therefore I've had to reinstall Linux quite a few times (OK, more times
> than I care to mention). Luckily, as of yet, I haven't gone into any
> physical force with it (other than the occasional kick), but I can't say
> it'll always be that way!
>
> OK, that's sort of eerie. My original response a little bit ago:
> > > You know - after using KMail for the past couple of days on two
> > > machines, I keep noticing what might be timeouts, or it just might be
> > > my imagination. I have gotten the popup (a good 40 times or so) saying
> > > the mail server had unexpectantly closed the connection, yada yada.
> > > This is using secured IMAP, and I've noticed that the only real time I
> > > get that error seems to be when I'm composing email (if it takes more
> > > than 30 seconds to compose, it tends to time out). Of course tailing
> > > the mail logs on the mail server shows nothing (unlike Outlook or
> > > Outlook Express, which shows something in the mail logs when the
> > > connection is dropped due to their lousy standards). What's even worse
> > > is, it's only doing this on the machines with the latest version of KDE
> > > (3.3). I don't know (I'm definitely not compaining, just thinking
> > > aloud) - maybe there's something we're missing? (some obscure setting
> > > that worked in older versions of KDE, but maybe it causes problems in
> > > the newer version?). I do know it's not due to network latency (my
> > > system here at home gets speeds of well over 600Kbs at times, and at
> > > work the machine I'm using there is sitting on the internal network,
> > > and it's all being managed by a gigabit managed switch, so network
> > > latency THERE definitely isn't an issue). I am just curious - I'll do
> > > some more poking around and see what I can find.
>
> When I was mousing over this portion, I got the popup, and all of the text
> was selected... SO, here's what it says without further ado:
>
> Connection to Server Closed Unexpectedly
> Although a connection was established to mail.chipcastle.com, the
> connection was closed at an unexpected point in the communication.
> Details of the request:
> Date and time: Tuesday 12 October 2004 09:01 pm
> Additional information: mail.chipcastle.com
> Possible causes:
> There may have been a problem with your network connection.
> There may have been a problem at some point along the network path between
> the server and this computer.
> A protocol error may have occurred, causing the server to close the
> connection as a response to the error.
> Possible solutions:
> Try again, either now or at a later time.
> Contact the administrator of the server for further assistance.
> Contact your appropriate computer support system, whether the system
> administrator, or technical support group for further assistance.

I get no such error though I'm using POP3

> As I said, I only get those popups while COMPOSING a message. It never does
> it just checking mail regularly...

And I only see my problem when I'm away from the box for a while

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 22:50:45 up 6 days, 23:37,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.20, 0.34
Linux 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+