List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Printing in KDE3.3
From:       Tom Taylor <linxt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-10-11 21:09:08

On Monday 11 October 2004 11:21, Randall D. Hobbs wrote:
> Hi guys. I've got a problem I just encountered today for the first time,
> and I'm not quite sure how to get around it. I've installed KDE3.3 using
> Konstruct (on my work machine), and everything went great. Cups is also
> installed and configured, and let's me print test pages, etc. When I try to
> select Cups in the Printers section (Control Center -> Peripherals ->
> Printers), it gives this message quite a few times:
>
> /usr/lib/kde3/kdeprint_cups.so: undefined symbol:
> _ZN10KMWBackend10addBackendEiRK7QStringbi
>
> I believe they're all the same error message - the problem is, once you
> select Cups, it pops up between 5 and 10 popups immediately, and then it'll
> keep popping them up until you're able to select something else (which is
> tricky sometimes). That happens to be the one I managed to copy.
>
> I'm running on Mandrake Linux 10 official, with the 2.6.3-16mdk kernel.
> Googling found only one instance of this problem, and it was for KDE 3.1,
> so any new news would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Randall:

Where are you selecting CUPS at?  In my KDE 3.3 (Control Center -> Peripherals
-> Printers) the only selection choices are for "laser2, Advanced faxing tool
(ksendfax), Mail PDF file, Print to file (PDF), Print to file (Postscript),
and Send to FAX".  No CUPS!  CUPS is NOT a printer.

You say CUPS is installed and configured and that you were able to print a
test page.  What printer did you configure under CUPS?  That is the printer
you should be selecting in control center.

Hmmm,  you say using Mandrake.  Is your KDE specific to Mandrake or the
generic version?  The one I'm using is the generic version under Fedora Core
3t2.

Let us know if you're still having this problem.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004