List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2004-10-09 17:35:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Samstag 09 Oktober 2004 19:13, John Hunt wrote:
> Regarding speed in general, I have been experimenting with Xfce. It
> certainly starts quicker than kde, and non-kde apps (such as rxvt) open
> noticably quicker than their kde equivalents (such as Konsole).  This on a
> 900MHz Pentium 3 laptop. But on balance I have decided it is not worth the
> effort of learning how to use and configure a different desktop.

and here is another thing to consider:
even if other wm's like xfce, icewm (which is my fallback in cas kde should
break ;-) are really faster, there's not much advantage in that,
because you still need up-to-date applications for serious work like OO,
mozilla, firefox, kmail, evolution,gaim etc.... which rely on their own
libraries and hence won't load faster anyways.

werner