List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Has The performance been forgotten?
From:       John Hunt <john.kde () yoredale ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2004-10-09 17:13:42

> I'm beginning to think about switching to another distro like Mandrake.
> If I did, and stopped using FC, how does that affect my ability to use
> RPMs? (I've never understood if these binaries are really distro-specific
> or not.) And yum? Because I've become very dependent on yum (I've rarely
> ever been able to get any source to actually compile).

I find that Mandrake's package management works very well, and that it is
fairly rare for me to want to install software that is not available either
from the install CDs or one of the Mandrake club websites. And I find that
I have far less difficulty getting sources to compile in Mandrake than I
did in Red Hat.

Regarding speed in general, I have been experimenting with Xfce. It
certainly starts quicker than kde, and non-kde apps (such as rxvt) open
noticably quicker than their kde equivalents (such as Konsole).  This on a
900MHz Pentium 3 laptop. But on balance I have decided it is not worth the
effort of learning how to use and configure a different desktop.

As I noted before, PAM causes a noticable delay after you log in, no matter
which desktop, probably about 5 seconds on a 900MHz PC.

...John