List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Radeon OpenGL and KDE 3.1
From:       Aleksandar Donev <adonev () Math ! Princeton ! EDU>
Date:       2004-10-07 15:00:30

Hello,

> It worked very good with the radeon
> driver inside xfree 6.8.0 with no crash ... ever.
The on-line docs for xorg's 6.8.0' say:

RV370
Radeon X300, M22 (2d only)

(I have Radeon X300)

and I think that 3D acceleration is only provided by ATI drivers.

> But I reverted to
> my old Ati Rage 128 until I buy a more decent card.
I don't think the card is not decent, and I will first revert to GNOME
rather than give up my fast graphics (although I can use the built in
Intel graphics I guess for reasonable graphics speed with KDE).

> BTW what do you use... xfree, xorg, what version, what version of
> kernel (to me it worked reliable only with the 2.6 series)...
This is basically the vanilla EL 3.0, kernel 2.4.21-20.EL, with xfree86.

> Try
> upgrading to kde 3.3 because by what I think it is kde related since
> it works with gnome.
This is why I sent it to the KDE list. Read this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33737637
"And there was a new option in the configure
 script, "-dlopen-opengl". This option remove the OpenGL and Xmu library
dependencies in the
 Qt library. The functions used by Qt in those libraries are resolved
manually using dlopen()."

This guy claims upgrading to qt 3.3 solved the problem, and that it is
because Qt loads OpenGL manually with dlopen, am not really sure what
is going on. Is there a place I can ask the Qt folks? I am not really
syre what the "Qt configure script" is--do I need to recompile?

I want to upgrade to KDE 3.3, but not do a complete update of my
computer. I tried using yum and the instructions on KDE's site, but
there still seem to be packages missing or not up to date, and others
on my system that depend on qt 3.1. For example, where is the needed
themer rpm for Qt 3.3?
Any advice on how to painlessly and safely upgrade to KDE 3.3 will be
most welcome. Is Qt 3.3 known to break Qt 3.1 apps (like LyX, for
example)? This would be bad.

> You can always use a forum for quick questions...
I know this sound stupid, but what do you mean?

Thanks,
Aleksandar

P.S. Please copy me on replies.

--