List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Thanks For The Tips
From:       Don Clerk <dclerk () magma ! ca>
Date:       2004-10-01 1:16:03

Thank-you to several people who posted responses to my request for
information about automatic placement of icons on the kde desktop.

Konsole doesn't always work for me, because I often log in from home
using vnc and konsole does strange things when I do this. But I have
been able to place xterms. But when I am at work, I can use konsole fine

In the process, I discovered something else - in .XDefaults I found the
key to setting the fonts to a small size when I pop up the xterms.

Now, I am able to do something like this:

xterm -sl 10000 -fn 6x10 -geometry 100x40+20+20 -title GPO -e tcsh -c
Some_Shell_Script &

-sl 10000 gives me a big buffer for the xterm display
-fn 6x10  gives me the small fonts
-geometry 100x40+20+20 places the xterm on the desktop
-title GPO tells me that this window is for GPO stuff
-e tcsh launches the t shell in that window
-c Some_Shell_Script laucnhesa script to automatically log me on to
another machine in this xterm

With a bunch of these in a shell script that is in my path I save a lot
of time each day.