List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kde under Mandrake 10.0
From:       John Hunt <john.kde () yoredale ! uklinux ! net>
Date:       2004-09-28 16:56:20

On Friday 24 Sep 2004 01:28, qwandor@flashmail.com wrote:

> I once had this problem and fixed it by removing
> ~/.fonts.cache-1.
>
> If that doesn't work, you could try renaming
> ~/.kde (this will remove all your customized
> settings). If that fixes the problem but you
> want your settings back, you can copy files from
> the old copy one by one until the problem
> recurs.
>
> Did you upgrade KDE recently while it was
> running?

I delayed responding in the hope that the original poster would answer. As
he did not...

I tried renaming .kde. I think that worked, but as the problem is
intermittent cannot say for sure. I really didn't like losing my settings
and the effort copying the config back one file at a time, and so renamed
it back.  I then deleted some caches. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of
which - I think it included tmp/orbit-* . Again this has apparently fixed
it.  Incidentally this PC normally runs for weeks at a time between
reboots.

I think the problem is starting to recur - the kde startup hung this morning
for the first time in a couple of weeks. This time perhaps I'll be a bit
more methodical about what I do to try to fix it.

Two things happened about the time it started
1 Mandrake issued a bug fix to kde, which I installed from within kde (using
mandrake Control Centre)
2 I started running kmail remotely from another PC over ssh. (Not when
logged onto the main PC.) Also sometimes running a complete kde session
remotely using XDMCP.

...John