List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Sound-Problems with KDE 3.3
From:       Wolfgang Egger <beuys () wolfgang-egger ! de>
Date:       2004-09-27 18:09:15

Servus,

ich have just upgraded from SuSE 9.0 to SuSE 9.1 and there to KDE 3.3.
Now I have a strange Sound-Problem.

I can play WAV-Files without Problems. And the Test-Button at the Yast
Hardware-Sound-Modul works fine, means, i can hear sound if i click on it.
I have "fixed" this problem with the alsamixer, that has initaially all
levels at 0.

Now the Problem. I cant hear the System-Event-Signal-Sounds.
E.g. I use kopete as messenger-client. Is has the funcitioality to beep,
if there is coming a new messege and i can select, what sound should be
played after this Event. There is a dialog to do this, but if i try to
play the sound for test, i hear nothing. And if there comes a message, i
hear nothing, too. Before that update, i heared al nice bing ;-)

At the console, therenow are no beeps as in older days ;-)

The KDE-ControllCenter has at Sound&Multimedia/Systemmesseges (german
Systemnachrichten) the same dialog for activating EventSounds as kopete,
but i cant here anything if  i click the play-button, too.
The KDE-ControllCenter has at Sound&Multimedia/SignalSound (german
Signalton) anohter sound-test-button, that doesn't work.

On the other hand, KAlarm plays its Sound as expected ....

Has anybody any idea, where this behaviour is comming from and what to
do against it?

Thanx ind advance for any hints
Have a nice and peacefully day

    Wolfgang