List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Printing from Kword
From:       John Andersen <jsa () pen ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2004-09-17 4:34:44

On Thursday 16 September 2004 03:47 pm, Byron Nilsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed (actually, still installing) Debian v3.0r2.
>
> I can't seem to configure Kmail, Kword, Kview, or Advanced Editor for my
> very generic old Canon inkjet printer.  The Settings window for these
> programs says the printer name is lp, which I think should be OK.  For
> "Print system currently using:" I have "Generic UNIX LPD print system
> (default)".  I have tried the other available options too, with the same
> result.
>
> What comes out of the printer is a long (90 KB) text beginnining:
> 	%!PS-Adobe-1.0
> 	.
> 	%%BeginProlog
> 	.
> 	...etc...  (mysterious alpha characters with no line breaks)...

Your system thinks the printer is post-script capable.
Is it? It doesn't appear to be.
If not, your problem is probably that you are running your print
thru the wrong filters.

What print system have you actually installed? And how did
you configure the printer?  Very Generic does not quite cut it.
You need exact model, and you also need to tell us exactly which
printing system your box is running - Lpd or Cups or what?