List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] text too big when printing
From:       Alex Nordstrom <alexander.nordstromDONT_CC_ME () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-09-16 4:40:14

On Wednesday, 15 Sep 2004 20:51, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> i just got a really big monitor and naturally i cranked the
> resolution way up.  the resolution is so high that i had to change
> the font sizes in konqueror.  the problem is now when i print stuff
> from konqueror, the font sizes are huge on the paper.  is there
> anything i can do to fix this short of changing the font sizes before
> i print?

Your X probably still thinks it's running at 100 dpi or something like
that, and pt is a physical font size measurement (a Postscript point is
1/72 inch), not a measurement in terms of pixels, so the behaviour you
see is exactly what you have asked for.

Instead of increasing the font sizes on the screen, figure out the
resolution of your screen and put it in the applicable Xservers file.

On Debian, if you use KDM, the file used is /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and
if you use xdm, it's /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

There should be a line similar to:
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 117 vt7

where the value after -dpi should be the number of pixels across your
screen (e.g. 1400 for an SXGA screen) divided by the physical width of
your screen (e.g. 12 inches for a 15-inch-diagonal 4:3-ratio TFT).

If you do that, 12 pt on the screen should be the same size on screen as
12 pt print text held next to it.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/