List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] dcop or iceauth problem with kde apps
From:       Dustin <laurence () alice ! wonderland ! caltech ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-31 19:02:49

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > sh: line 1: iceauth: command not found
> >
> > message suggests something as simple as a bad path for something
>
> KDE's desktop communication (DCOP) and session management require access
> to the "iceauth" program to create authentication tokens. It should be
> installed on your system as part of X and should in general be in the
> path, or at least in one of the well-known locations.

Yes, one puzzlement is that it more or less says it can't find iceauth,
which sounds like a probable show-stopper, but it's on the path in a
sensible place:

---
laurence@poly laurence $ which iceauth
/usr/X11R6/bin/iceauth
---

so it would have to be running in some other environment.  X11R6/bin isn't
on root's path, presumably for security reasons, so I'll investigate that.
However, I don't believe it was on root's path before the rebuild either.

The message was "sh: line 1: iceauth: command not found", which sounds to
me like a shell script that can't find iceauth, but all the running
processes seem to be compiled binaries.  startkde is a script, but I doubt
it's invoked when I run a kde app under gnome and in any case it doesn't
contain the string 'iceauth' (not that it couldn't be hidden in a variable
somewhere).

Also, the fact that kde programs can run after the first one starts the
runtime and then hangs, so I'd think it would have to be an iceauth call
only when the runtime itself starts, not any connection initiated by the
client program to the runtime.  This also fits with this part of the error
message:

---
root@poly root # DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'kded' to 'klauncher'
DCOP aborting while waiting for answer from 'kded'
---

so I assume the kde daemon only makes that call once on startup.  Hmm, I
guess an interesting question would be what kded's environment is when it
starts--it's call fails, maybe it is the one that needs iceauth?  I'm not
sure what determines its environment.

'strings kded | egrep iceauth' doesn't find anything, though.

I believe I forgot to say that based on random postings on the net I tried
deleting various things (starting with things relating to kde and my
username, up to everything) in /tmp as well as $HOME/.ICE* and .DCOP*, and
letting the files be re-created.  Rather than blow away .kde* I then
created a new user with a pristine environment.  Still no joy--in the
latter case kde asked a few configuration questions, then hung (presumably
at the point it tried to start the runtime).

Dustin