List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Login and closing problems
From:       "qwandor () flashmail ! com" <qwandor () flashmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-28 7:52:39

Hi
I managed to fix my problem with users not being
able to log in (the permissions for some home
directories had mysteriously changed), but now I
have a few more problems:

1. If a user enters an incorrect password, the
kdm greeter freezes (i.e. doesn't respond to
keypresses, mouseclicks etc.; the only thing to
do is press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to force X to
restart). I am not sure if this is a problem
with KDE or something else; I am using NIS
(ypbind) for passwd info so that may have
something to do with it.

2. Programs sometimes randomly disappear. I will
be working in some program, when suddenly it
disappears. This happens on average about 4-5
times per hour. Sometimes even kicker has
disappeared, for no apparent reason. I don't get
a crash message or anything, the program just
silently quits. Also, sometimes kicker or the
desktop doesn't start up when I log on. This is
really irritating.

Does anyone have any ideas why these problems
are occuring? Any help or suggestions would be
much appreciated.

Andrew