List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Re: Problem running Konqueror and Kwrite as Root
From:       John Bleichert <syborg () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-07-23 16:47:14

> AndyLiebman@aol.com wrote in news:1ea.25299e0b.2e268234@aol.com:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Mandrake 10 Official on my Linux server. I often access
> > server through TightVNC which is running on a Windows XP workstation.
> > I have no trouble running KDE applications such as Kwrite and
> > Konqueror as a regular user.
> >
> > However, sometimes I want to run Konqueror and Kwrite as root. For
> > instance, to edit config files that can only be accessed by root.
> >

> Just a thought.  Are you connecting to your linux machine with VNC through
> a secure SSH tunnel.
>
> If not, you are exposing your root password to the world!
>
> When I connect to my server via the Internet, yes. When I connect from a
> workstation on my local network, no. Either way, I can't run KWrite and Konqueror
> as root. However, I have no problem running Nautilus and Gedit as root. It's
> just that I would prefer to use Konqueror as root for a specific file
> management operation that must be done as root.

There is an option on the K menu for running Konqueror in superuser mode. Generally \
root doesn't have access to a mortal user's X session. I dunno why gedit and nautilus \
can get through, that's very lax. I wouldn't expect too much help on this, it's \
inherently dangerous (no matter what you may think, no offense) - Root should never \
ever ever use the X server. Use a terminal editor (like vi or pico) and write a \
script to do repetive file access (move/delete) tasks or even use mc which is a \
simple-to-use terminal mode file browser, similar to the old Norton Commander IIRC.

Good luck!

JB