List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Fw: Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.2.3 screen lock authentication error
From:       John Bleichert <syborg () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-07-22 20:16:32

On Thursday 22 July 2004 19:31, John Bleichert wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 July 2004 18:47, John Bleichert wrote:
> > > Hello All
> > >
> > > I've just installed KDE 3.2.3 via Konstruct on a Slackware 9.1
> > > workstation. KDE's screensaver in KDE 3.x on this box has always worked
> > > fine. However, now my password fails to unlock the screen and I need to
> > > kill the screensaver manually from a vt. It complains that the
> > > authentication mechanism fails to work. Xscreensaver/xlock work fine.
> > >
> > > Any idea how to fix this? I've been using KDEs screenlock all through
> > > the 3.x series and never hit this.
> >
> > kdebase/kcheckpass needs to be installed suid root.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Waldo
>
> No luck, it still fails to authenticate.
>
> -rwsr-sr-x    1 johnnyb  users       20915 Jul 21 18:25 kcheckpass
>
> It is "suid johnnyb" now ;-) That doesn't work.
>
> As root do:
> chown root.root kcheckpass
> chmod 4755 kcheckpass
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Yep I noticed that as soon as I posted it. I changed the ownership and still no luck. \
It's a pam problem - the packages I grabbed for Slackware were bult requiring pam \
support which Slackware doesn't ship with. I'm actually building the whole shebang \
from source no manually. It's been a while, and I can build it without the pam \
requirement.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

JB

(Sorry for the cc: Waldo, I'm not used to doing this stuff in webmail ... )