List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.2.3 screen lock authentication error
From:       John Bleichert <syborg () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2004-07-22 17:31:26

> On Thursday 22 July 2004 18:47, John Bleichert wrote:
> > Hello All
> >
> > I've just installed KDE 3.2.3 via Konstruct on a Slackware 9.1 workstation.
> > KDE's screensaver in KDE 3.x on this box has always worked fine. However,
> > now my password fails to unlock the screen and I need to kill the
> > screensaver manually from a vt. It complains that the authentication
> > mechanism fails to work. Xscreensaver/xlock work fine.
> >
> > Any idea how to fix this? I've been using KDEs screenlock all through the
> > 3.x series and never hit this.
>
> kdebase/kcheckpass needs to be installed suid root.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

No luck, it still fails to authenticate.

-rwsr-sr-x    1 johnnyb  users       20915 Jul 21 18:25 kcheckpass

Nothing in the system log that I can see. Note that Slackware doesn't ship with a \
pam.d setup - is kde 3.2.3 for some reason trying to do a pam authentication, where \
none of the previous versions were?

Thanks - JB