List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Cannot build KDE 3.2.91(3.3 beta)
From:       Michael Matthews <mjmatthews1 () rcn ! com>
Date:       2004-07-21 3:00:06

On Friday 16 July 2004 23:52, Andrew Kar wrote:

> > Any ideas? Ive run out.
>
> Unfortuneatly this is one of the problems with linux distros that insist on
> installing KDE into the default program (/usr) location. It is too big and
> fundamental a part of the OS to all intents and purposes and should really
> have its own tree like X11R6 and be put in /opt/kde or at least /usr/local
> like you are doing.
>
> The problem is that despite variables being set, some little snippets of
> code or script manage to grab the wrong libs or includes. In your error the
> script is using the meinproc in /usr/bin rather than the one in
> /usr/local/bin.
>  You need to set your path so that executables will be run from
> /usr/local/bin first; before any of the same name in /usr/bin.
>
> regards
> andrew
I changed PATH precedence , and reconfigured and that worked.  meinproc is
in /usr/local/kde/bin. One would think configure would be intelligent to use
dest dir bin as first precedence to find embedded utilites but guess not.

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-3.3.2
export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:/usr/local/lib
export LDFLAGS=-R$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CPPFLAGS="-I$KDEDIR/include -I/usr/local/include"
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$QTDIR/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH