List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Googling Hasn't Helped Me Get Rid Of Error Messages
From:       John Andersen <jsa () pen ! homeip ! net>
Date:       2004-07-20 8:51:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 July 2004 04:33 am, Kathy Wills wrote:
> When I as a user do "su - root" and try to open kde apps I get error
> messages before the apps open. How do I solve it to get rid of these
> error messages? The apps do open and run but the error messages are
> annoying. Attached are some examples:
>
> gungholady root # kedit
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
> kbuildsycoca running...

What you are seeing here are the normal logging messages from
these applications (console output).  Not necessarily errors.
Normally these are hidden by the gui (KDE) environment you
launch them from. (But they are there never the less).

You will often see these in a shell when you ssh to another
station and launch a gui app that connects back via the
ssh tunnel.

(The fact that you do not get "Cannot connect to X server"
when you su to root implies that you have set something
up with  .rhosts or .shosts or something.

sux is suse's answer for this.  ssh to localhost works too.