List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Help with Moving Icons, Please
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-16 18:58:40

AndyLiebman@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Mandrake 10 Official. Can somebody tell me how to make KDE desktop
> icons stay where I put them from one boot to the next?
>
> It seems that I only get one chance to arrange icons the way I want them --
> the very first time after I install Mandrake. The changes I make THEN continue
> after rebooting. But if I make any changes after THAT, the changes don't
> stick. It's really annoying and frustrating.

I do not know what is causing the problem, but I can give you some information.

Do you have the icons aligned to a grid.  If so, doing it again with the RMB
context menu might help.

This information is stored in the file:

	$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositions

Make sure that the permissions for this file are: 600, and that the permissions
of the directory:

	.kde/share/apps/kdesktop

are: 700

If that is OK, then try renaming the file.  Using the date as an extension is a
good idea (e.g. IconPositions.20040716).  I keep one of these in case of
problems.  Then after you rename the file and see if you get a new
file: "IconPositions" when you log out and log back in.

If so, that should fix it.

If not, then you have some serious problem. :-(

--
JRT