List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Control Center needs an overhaul!
From:       Jim Philips <jimmyc () speedfactory ! net>
Date:       2004-07-06 1:37:46

Sean Schertell wrote:

>Was  [kde-linux] Desktop Icons thread:
>

>>From a usability standpoing, wouldn't it make sense to put this under
>>Appearance & Themes > Icons   ????
>>

>From a usability standpoint, I think the Control Center is a textbook study
>in how *not* to design a UI.  Way way way too many options on the top
>level, "advanced" options aren't really all that advanced -- although
>you'll find plenty of advanced options right on the top level.
>
>I'd like to suggest that the KDE team do this:  Write down the
>name/description of every individual function available in the Control
>Center on a separate Post-It note (probably more than a hundred I guess).
>Now go over to a big wall and organize those things into logical
>categories.  Use the OS X System Preferences as a model for top level
>simplicity.  Then put the *least used* features features under an advanced
>tab for each module.
>
>I think the key here is to find out what people use most often and make
>sure those things are right where most people would expect to find them --
>not buried under an advanced tab somewhere unexpected.
>
>I love KDE, but the 12,000 options in every menu, toolbar, and control
>panel is a really huge barrier to usability IMO -- to the extent of almost
>being "user hostile".  With every option under the sun is available on the
>top level, it's often nearly impossible to find what you're looking for.

I like having all of those options and I use most of them. But it took
me a long time to find the option that started this thread. There are
things in Control Center that beg for better organization. When it comes
to fonts, I should be able to configure everything for fonts in one
place. Instead, there is a general area to set fonts for KDE, an area to
set font colors (within a theme only) and an area to set the fonts used
on the background. This all belongs together. People shouldn't have to
guess.