List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Best distro for KDE
From:       Jim Philips <jimmyc () speedfactory ! net>
Date:       2004-05-29 22:18:57

Piotr Gawrysiak wrote:

> Sorry for this question - as probably it has been asked before (yet I
> have not managed to find good answers :-)
>
> What distribution would be best for running KDE (on Thinkpad T21)? For
> GNOME such distribution would be (I guess) Fedora Core 2 currently - a
> lot of GNOME developers use it and Fedora configuration tools are very
> GNOME-oriented (OK, I guess that these do not use GNOME libraries,
> only GTK, but still seem to be very well integrated with the DE). What
> would be KDE equivalent? I am not speaking only about using KDE as
> default DE (as for example Mandrake does, while using GKT based
> configuration tools). My own (limited of course) research shows that
> probably Suse would be good, but alas - this is not really free
> distribution (no downloadable ISO's) and Yast is also not that very
> vell integrated with KDE (well, I checked in 9.0, maybe 9.1 is better?).
>
> Some time ago there were rumours about kde-debian (or was it
> debian-kde?) project, but I could not find any recent information
> about it. Is it dead or not? :-) Still, Debian seems to be rather
> focused on GNOME than KDE - at least one can get such feeling after
> reading Debian News...
>
> Obviously, I am dreaming of a distribution that would treat KDE as a
> native & only environment and thus would base its configuration tools
> not only on Qt but also on KDE libraries. Ideally the tools for
> configuring network, sound card (etc.) should be parts of KDE Control
> Center, system should be optimized for running KDE and other
> applications (if installed) should be configured for KDE cooperation
> (and not the other way around - for example XINE if installed should
> have arts output on by default). There should be direct hardware
> support with KDE-based tools (like possibility to tweak video card
> setting directly from KDE desktop preferences, manage acpi & network
> interfaces etc. - basically that what fedora system-config-* apps do,
> only KDE-like). And finally - there should be native KDE package
> repository which is actively maintained.
>
> Hmmm... Does such thing exist? And if not - what whould be the best
> approximation (after I get rid of this Fedora 2 :-)?
>
> Piotr Gawrysiak

I find Slackware to be pretty KDE friendly. But it is very much a "roll
your own" kind of distro. It doesn't seem to presume you will prefer
Gnome. I'm very comfortable with it. And with the lack of graphical
stuff it comes in between 1 and 2 gigs lighter than Fedora for a base
install. With swaret, Slackware has an update tool equivalent to yum.
They are pretty good about providing packages for new KDE versions too.

For a good comparison of the different distros, go to:

http://www.distrowatch.org/