List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] problems on kde 3.2
From:       David Legg <david_legg () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-23 12:48:13

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:43:51 +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> I've compiled kde 3.2 thru konstruct, and it worked quite fine untill today,
> when I caught the message : unable to start kmsession". I've restarted my
> kde 3.1.5 since I'm unable to figure out what the problem can be. Any idea?

Mmm. I've just done the same thing, allbeit through a Gentoo install and apart
from menu spacing issues caused I believe by Qt 3.3, it is working fine. If
you have a previous KDE 3.1.5 installation all that I can suggest is that you
get rid of all of the existing installation and compile and install from
scratch. This includes all of the KDE settings in your home directory,
backing up what you want to keep and restoring it later of course. If things
work, and you restore, and then it doesn't work, you'll know what is causing
it.

A completely clean install of a new version of KDE is the way to go, otherwise
you run the risk of something not being right somewhere down the line or
certain programs not being quite binary compatible. This happened when I
started using Qt 3.3 - make sure you recompile everything against it.

Luca Ferrari - nice name! I wish I had a name like that.

regards,

David