List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Sharing home desktops
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2003-12-31 19:04:59

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 16:53, David Baron wrote:
> > You could symlink all homedirs to one and the same dir. All
> > users should be in the same group, and this group should have
> > write access to the one folder. umask should be set properly.
> >
> > But I do not understand the sense.
> >
> > And: Never never never work as root.
>
> How do I do this "symlink"?
>
> The point is not to work as root unless I am playing with root type stuff!
> I want my desktop and mail however I log on.

Hello David,

If you just want to do some root type work occassionally, you can log in as
your normal user, launch a konsole (which will start as your normal user) and
log in to root from the konsole command line using the command:

su -

(That's 'su' followed by a space and a dash)
Just enter root's password when prompted. You can then do command-line root
stuff from that console whilst still having all your ordinary KDE apps for
your normal user. Type 'exit' (without those 'dashes') when you're done and
the konsole will revert to your normal user again. Typing 'exit' again will
close the konsole app. You can also launch graphical apps under root's
control by typing their name on the command line. If you get a message along
the lines of "cannot connect to x server", enter the command:

xhost +root

from the command line (logged in as your normal user) and try again. You
didn't say what root type stuff you wanted to do; if this doesn't work for
you, let us know as their might be a better way of achieving your aims.

Happy New Year (One & All :-)

Cheers,
Sean
--