List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KDE Control Panel, etc. disappears occasionally
From:       crchurch () att ! net
Date:       2003-12-29 3:40:47

I need some help!  I posted this under [kde] initially,
today; but, this forum is probably the correct place
for it to be listed.  I've corrected a couple of points
and I do need help, though.

(BTW, I'm running KDE4.3.1/RH9/linux-2.4.20-27.9 and
it has been working flawlessly.  KDE
was installed from rpms from a KDE
mirror.)

Infrequently, my KDE installation doesn't remember
what applications and applets that I've added to
the panel; today is one of those times. When that
happens, KDE does not show any applications or
programs when I click on the "Application Starter
Icon;" except that Run, LockScreen, and Logout
still appear. All of my desktop icons
(applications) are still present and still work;
however, I've lost my all desktop control panel
settings; e.g., single-click, NumLock, etc. Also,
all the applications are missing when I right-click
the panel and click "Applications" to add an icon
to the panel for starting the app.  Furthermore,
there is no KDE control panel.

In the past, when that happened it has been
because I've updated KDE or the linux kernel and
the solution has been to logout and login for KDE
or to reboot for the kernel.

I may have shot myself in the foot (so to
speak/type). I went to /tmp/ and deleted all the
files/directories that had my username in them.
Although, that didn't seem to cause any more
deterioration and KDE just recreated some of them.

Is there any way to recover/recreate my
KDE-menu/desktop-panel?  AND, is there any way to
get the control panel back and functional?

Raymond