List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux]  Any way to run KDE without hardlink support
From:       "Matt Ross" <m.g.ross () herts ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2003-09-01 15:26:43

> On Saturday 30 August 2003 09:34, Matt Ross wrote:
> > I think I mean hardlinks. When I currently run KDE it fails to run,
> > but also creates symbolic links called .DCOPserver_hostname
> that point
> > to nonexistent files in the same directory called the same with _:0
> > appended.
>
> That one is no longer used.
>
> > Isn't this missing file meant to be a hardlink?
>
> You should have a regular file "~/.DCOPserver_hostname__0"
> and you should get
> a symlink from "~/.DCOPserver_hostname_:0" to
> "~/.DCOPserver_hostname__0"
>
> Since you have neither of these the dcopserver probably
> aborts for some other
> reason. I suspect that the problem may be related with
> "~/.ICEauthority"

You are right. On a KDE 2.2.2 setup I configured ICEAUTHORITY and
DCOPAUTHORITY to use /tmp. After a reboot the DCOPserver is still using the
home account and has successfully created the link it needs, but the
ICEauthority is now in /tmp, and KDE is working! So, under KDE 2.2.2 at
least, ICEAUTHORITY fixes the problem for us.

I will be setting up 3.1.3 or 4 so hopefully it will work just as well in
our configuration then as well.

Thanks, you've been a great help.

> You can try if it helps to set the $ICEAUTHORITY env. var. to
> something like
> /tmp/ice-$USER (That might already work with 3.1.3)
>
> > This looks exactly like what I could be after. One question
> I do have
> > though: if I were to set $KDE_HOME_READONLY does this
> prevent all KDE
> > apps writing to the home directory or just the housekeeping
> processes
> > that manage the connection?
>
> Normally KDE complaints when the home-dir isn't writable. Setting
> $KDE_HOME_READONLY makes it shut up.
>
> > Our users will still need to write to their
> > directories, obviously, it's just the NFS mount isn't up to
> the whole task.
> > With any luck I will only need to use $DCOPAUTHORITY, I
> shall post back
> > with my results once I've had a chance to test it.
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo
> - --
> bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=-