List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Choice of distro
From:       <vailima () chilitech ! net>
Date:       2003-05-25 14:15:08

Mr. Hunt;

> The consensus appears to be that SuSE is the best choice of the big
> three.  SuSE does have some things preconfigured that you may not want
> that way, but that is just a minor problem.
>
> > I have considered simply removing KDE and compiling from sources (as described
> > in 1stFlight's posting on 2 May) but find the prospect daunting and the
> > number of MB to download over a dialup modem is probably impractical (I
> > already have the KDE 3.1 sources from a magasine but not Qt etc).

When you have a moment or two, tell me more about SuSE.

Never tried Red Hat.

Mandrake, version 7.0, as an introduction to LINUX, was I suspect about as good as \
one might reasonably expect. It was good, very good. On the other hand, Mandrake \
v9.0,, except for the Open Office software which came with it, all else equal, I'd \
still be using Mandrake v7.0.