List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Choice of distro
From:       Sigmund Gudvangen <sigmund () gudvangen ! net>
Date:       2003-05-25 12:37:12

Le Dimanche 25 Mai 2003 12:35, Stephen Kuhn écrivit :
> On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 20:03, Renze de Ruiter wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 May 2003 13:31, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > > Gotta hand it to Rob - he knows his Mandrake (grin)
> >
> > But Mandrake does modify... the layout in KControl is different.
> >
> > I found this out trying to help someone on IRC.
>
> I think that just about distro makes SOME modification to the system
> menus for both Gnome and KDE (being be widest used desktops); but there
> ARE ways of easily "killing" the "commerical" menu and putting back the
> normal KDE menus. Easier in Mandrake than under RHL; but in a comparison
> between at least MDK and RHL, the one for MDK is a bit better laid out
> and a bit more well thought...
>
> Either which, best overall would be to "roll your own" as it were - and
> then install KDE from scratch - compiled for YOUR particular machine
> along with the kernel and system structure.
>
> When I have an extra machine to build and some extra time to take, I
> want to do a "linux from scratch" bit - that'll be my next permanent
> workstation - and I definitely want to take the time to not only do it
> right, but do KDE right (I did it my way!) (grin)

A while ago I updated to KDE 3.1.0, from sources, on SUSE 8.0 without any
major problems. You have to be prepared to hook up the icons manually,
though, if you install into into e.g. /opt, as I did. But apart from that,
everything  worked as expected. I an afraid I cannot give further details, as
I have since changed to Mandrake 9.1.

Regards
Sigmund.