List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Choice of distro
From:       Stephen Kuhn <stephen.kuhn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-05-25 10:35:23

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 20:03, Renze de Ruiter wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2003 13:31, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
>
> > Gotta hand it to Rob - he knows his Mandrake (grin)
>
> But Mandrake does modify... the layout in KControl is different.
>
> I found this out trying to help someone on IRC.

I think that just about distro makes SOME modification to the system
menus for both Gnome and KDE (being be widest used desktops); but there
ARE ways of easily "killing" the "commerical" menu and putting back the
normal KDE menus. Easier in Mandrake than under RHL; but in a comparison
between at least MDK and RHL, the one for MDK is a bit better laid out
and a bit more well thought...

Either which, best overall would be to "roll your own" as it were - and
then install KDE from scratch - compiled for YOUR particular machine
along with the kernel and system structure.

When I have an extra machine to build and some extra time to take, I
want to do a "linux from scratch" bit - that'll be my next permanent
workstation - and I definitely want to take the time to not only do it
right, but do KDE right (I did it my way!) (grin)

--
Sun May 25 20:30:00 EST 2003
 20:30:00 up 6 days,  4:11,  5 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.30, 0.43