List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] QT/KDE Applications - preffered way
From:       Stelian Iancu <stelian.iancu () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-04-12 17:25:49

Hi!

I've just started developing my first QT/KDE application. So far, so
good :-).

I am using KDevelop (gideon) and QT Designer. When developing the user
interface with the designer, I saw that there are two ways to do it:
1. By extending the class that the designer generates from the .ui
file. The base class is regenerated every time, so customization has
to be done in the subclass.
2. By using the .ui.h file for editing the slots.

I must say that I tend to prefer the second approach, mainly because I
will have a large number of dialogs in my application, thus a large
number of classes and children of the classes.

But using the second approach also seems to have some disadvantages.
If I want to add some more methods to my class, I assume I can safely
add them to the .ui.h file, since the contents will be preserved. But
what happens if I want to add some member variables? My solution is
to add them to another .h and include it in .ui.h. Is this the right
method of doing this?

I would like very much to hear your thoughts about all this stuff
(which of the two methods is recommended, why, other practices for
programming QT/KDE, etc.).

Thank you very much!

--
Regards,